Sunday, October 11, 2009

New Zealand –North Island / Nouvelle Zélande – Ile Nord

New Zealand –North Island

Auckland and the Northlands

Day 1: Saturday 3rd October

We land in Auckland in the early hours after a gruelling flight.  Though 14 hours is not a long journey for us anymore, planes are still never comfortable ... LAN do not make much of an effort to make the flight any easier ... But no worries, we here, very excited to be in New Zealand, about as far away from home as we can get!

We get a few bits and pieces sorted at the airport, before the most exciting moment of all ... picking up our camper van that we will be living in for the next four weeks!  We get the whole explanation on the van, spend almost two hours in the supermarket planning our coming meals very carefully, find an inner-city camping site (Remuera Motor Lodge, which is really not bad) and Nico makes a mean Spaghetti Bolognese!

After lunch we take a bus into town, just to keep us awake...really nothing to report on Auckland, a pretty average city, though all the Japanese, Korean and Chinese restaurants that are everywhere look really tasty J  The resemblance it has with Dublin however is uncanny! We have made our way to the other side of the world to get the feeling that we’d taken the plane in the wrong direction from Santiago!

A quick round of cards in the camper that night, before a very early night.

Day 2: Sunday 4th October

An early night inevitably means an early morning.  We’re wide awake at 5am, and by 8.30am we’ve had our full English/Irish breakfast, showered and prepared the camper ready to take the road north.  

We took the coast road up, saw some pretty enough beaches, and stopped for lunch, looking out at the ocean at the Shakespeare Regional Park, on the Whangaparaoa peninsula.  It a very pretty park, and was a nice place to have lunch, but not really much more than that.

We continued to drive north, a quick stop off at Mangawhai Heads for a short stroll, and later for a cup of tea in the camper at a lovely viewpoint.  The drive all the way, we’re gasping and looking at each other shaking our heads ... the question comes out again and again, ‘are we in Ireland or in New Zealand?’ ... it was some stunning countryside, but it felt like we hadn’t really left, and that the last months around South America were just a dream.  It was very lovely to watch all the sweet little sheep and their lambs, and the funny faced cows and their calves ... just pure cuteness!

We stop at Matauri Bay (near to where the Rainbow Warrior was dragged by the government after it was bombed by the French secret services in 1985) at around 6pm, where we find a camping site on a beach (with the most beautiful views) and stay for the night.  It’s our first real evening out on the road and it’s just such a wonderful feeling looking at out the ocean with a glass of wine in your hand, while you cook and eat.

Day 3: Monday 5th October

We wake up to the most gorgeous view that makes Nico so happy that he feels the need to run around on the grass ... starkers! J

Still driving north towards Doubtless Bay, we take in the wonderful views along the way, and stop at Matai Bay on the Karikari peninsula for lunch.  With its twin coves, a beautiful spot to fill your eyes and your belly.

Our destination is Cape Reinga, on the Te Paki Recreation Reserve, on the top tip of New Zealand.  Before getting there, we stop off Waipapakauri Ramp, where we drive along the 90 mile beach ... a beach that does exactly what it says on the tin ... a long expanse of white sand and millions of mini waves crashing down.

At Cape Reinga is where the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean meet ... and you can really see it!   Apparently in stormy weather the waves can reach up to 10 meters high!  This is a very spiritual place for the Maoris ... the two waters meeting represent the coming together of man and woman, the beginning of life.  If you turn to the tip of the cape, you see the 800 year old Pohutukawa tree, where it is believed that souls slide down its roots, as they leave towards their spiritual homeland.

We leave Cape Reigna on the search for somewhere to camp for the night, as camping is allowed anywhere on the reserve so long as you are 500m from the road.  Of course, this is easier said than done, and after more than an hour of driving around searching for the right spot, we turned down all potential possibilities, either for personal safety reasons, or because we were worried about the van getting stuck in the mud ...

We eventually see a sign for a camping site at Spirits Bay (surely the name alone should have put us off ...), very tired by now, and both getting quite ratty as a result.  We drive into the camping site pay our fee, and see a field thinking that this is another entrance onto another part of the camp site.  Of course it isn’t, and after two minutes on the wet grass, we get bogged down and the wheels are stuck in the mud!  All that after searching for a place where this wouldn’t happen! 

After some bickering, we decide to go get some help to push us out of the mud.  Of course by now, it’s very dark and there’s no lighting other than our little head-torch.  On the camp site, we ask a group of young Germans to help us, and they are so kind that they all come in a big group of about seven people, and get soaked and covered in mud for an hour as they try to push us out.  Their efforts were unfortunately fruitless, but they promise to come back in the morning to help us.  They were such lovely people, determined to get us out of our ‘sticky situation’ ... we’re very thankful to them.  So that night we find ourselves very stuck, sleeping in the middle of a field ... quite stressed out.  Only one solution for this quite of situation ... lots of wine!

Day 4: Tuesday 6th October

After a rainy and sleepless night, we wake up feeling quite good humoured about the whole affair ... amazing what the light of day can do for the mood.  We open the doors of the van, stupidly hoping it was all a dream, but no, we’re still stuck.  But no worries, we’re still happy, and as we discuss what we want for breakfast, we look towards the bushes and see a beautiful white horse poking its head out looking at us ... our good luck charm, for some reason, at that moment, we knew everything was going to be just fine.  Nico ventures back to the campsite to ask for help, we’re told by a lovely lady that there’s no point in calling the AA cause there’s no phone signal there, but not to worry, to go back to the van and have breakfast, cause she’ll send her brother and husband out to help us as soon as they’re back from fishing ... and sure enough, a 4x4 turns up with a rope shortly afterwards and pull us out of the mud in the space of about three minutes. 

After breakfast, Nico washes his jeans in the very cold sea, on the beautiful beach that the campsite is overlooking.  We head towards Ahipara, back to the end of the 90 mile beach for lunch, and of course we stop off on the way at a winery to buy some New Zealand wine.  We continue our drive on to Kohukohu, witnessing some of the most magical surroundings... imagine fairy tales, dungeons and dragons, wizards and witches, princesses in need of rescuing, hobbits ... well you look out at this scenery and you see it all ... it’s no wonder that ‘Lord of the Rings’ was filmed in New Zealand.

At Kohukohu we take a ferry to cross the Hokianga Harbour over to Rawene, and continue driving through the beautiful Waipoua Forest, all the way down to Matakohe, where we stay the night in a very boring motor camp site. 

Day 5: Wednesday 7th October

An early start and we drive back to Auckland, staying in the same camp site as before, for convenience.  The afternoon is spent in Auckland running errands ... internet, buying contact lenses (with an out of date prescription that the useless Dublin branch of SpecSavers gave Renu ... somebody do what they can to get them closed down, please!), and of course having dinner at one of those very tempting Asian restaurants we saw a few days before.

Coromandel region and Rotorua

Day 6: Thursday 8th October

With some great recommendations from Renu’s lovely cousin (merci Navin!), we head towards Hot Water Beach, south of Auckland.   On the way there, between Tapu and Coroglen, we find ourselves on an uphill (through winding mountains), gravelly, one lane (but two way traffic) road ... 20km of nerves, though all was fine, we did dread to think what it would have been like should it have been raining instead of the beautiful sunny day we had.

After getting through the crazy road, and going past a field of crazy turkeys that talked back to Nico when he spoke to them, we were quite excited to get to Hot Water Beach.  The particularity of this beach is that due to the underground volcanic activity, two hours either side of low tide, there is part of the beach that can be accessed where hot water seeps up from beneath the surface.  If  you bring your own spade and dig a hole, you have your own thermal spa pool! Although, if you do happen to go, be careful if you swim in the sea as it is apparently very dangerous, with all the thermal currents.  Our trouble is that we get there at the most very wrong time, full on high tide, and given that we needed to push on as we do not have ‘long’ in New Zealand, we couldn’t hang around to experience this ... gutted.  Well that was one reason, coupled with the fact that as we were pulling up to the beach, there was a potential tsunami warning due to the earthquakes that happened earlier on in the Pacific), and everyone in New Zealand was strongly advised to stay away from all beaches ... evidently with that warning we did not want to hang around and of course it meant that we missed also Cathedral Cove View Point ... a real shame.

We drove on for a bit and stopped somewhere near to Whenuakite for lunch, and kept on going to Rotorua, also missing Waihi Beach due to the tsunami warnings L (which were later cancelled that day btw).

Rotorua sticks of rotten eggs as you drive in, this is not due to the bad diet of the locals, but more to the high levels of sulphur in the air.  This is New Zealand’s thermal area, filled with bubbling mud pools, geysers and steaming hot springs, all of which you see all around the area as you drive through.  It’s quite phenomenal. 

That night, as we get there late, we are forced to use ‘The Lonely Planet’ guidebook to find somewhere to park the camper, and of course we end up in a hideous camping area (basically a parking ground), though they did have some nice hot mineral pools, naturally heated, which we certainly made the most of. 

Day 7: Friday 9th October

Friday morning we make our way to Whakarewarewa, a real Maori village ... the real reason why we are here in Roturua, to learn more out the indigenous people of New Zealand.  It’s a very pleasant morning, a real Maori village, family ... where we see how they use the thermal pools for their everyday living, like bathing and cooking, how their houses are made and what the structure represents, what the geysers mean to them and also how they use the mud from the mud pools to cure all sorts of skin complaints.  At the end there is also a show where they perform some beautiful love songs, dances and of course the legendary haka (a warrior performance, acted out when entering into battle with the aim of scaring the opposition into defeat)!  It is wonderful to watch right in front of us, Nico even gets up to give it a go with them (though you have no doubt, against his will).

After a refill at the supermarket, we take a very boring road to Taupo.  We stop off at an ‘i-site’ to get some information on camping sites (as we are sick of paying a small fortune to camp in parking lots), and they direct us to a free campsite, Rieds Farm, just down the road from Huka falls.  What a beautiful spot, on the banks of a charming river, in complete nature, but still safe.  It’s just perfect.  We take a walk to Huka falls, which is about 20 minutes away on foot.  It pours down with rain as we walk, of course, but still, when we get to the falls we see that it is just stunning.  The rush, the power of the water and the wonderful colours.  We go back to the camper for a game of cards and dinner.

Taupo to Wellington

Day 8: Saturday 10th October

Waking up happy in our beautiful and free location, we make breakfast, do the necessaries with the van, and head towards Wellington.  Generally the drive is again pretty boring, other than views of Taupo lake as we leave, and of course, the crazy drive through the 56km desert road between Turangi and Waiouru, as you go from normal rainy weather and very green land to an almost sudden change of first dry land, then snowy land, then very snowy land (with a mini snow storm) and then back to normal again, very odd! 

We stop for lunch near Mangaweka, with a very nice view of a little valley and river, and then drive on to Wellington.  The original plan was to stop somewhere before to sleep, but the drive was much quicker than anticipated.  Of course this meant that we have to stay in another hideous caravan park just outside of Wellington, in Newlands ... but it’s a practical spot.  That evening we do all the internet stuff including booking our ferry to cross over to the South Island on Monday.

Day 9: Sunday 11th October

A late start knowing that we don’t have to drive that day.  We take a bus into Wellington to pick up our ‘Fat Freddy’s Drop’ tickets, their concert is on the 31st Oct, and we’re gonna see them play on home turf!!!  If you don’t know them, check them out, they are awesome!  While we’re there we have lunch in a yummy noodle house, take a walk on the sea front and visit the brilliant Te Papa museum.  Wellington is a cool little city, but as always for us, it’s still just a city and doesn’t exit us all that much.  Back to the camper in that beautiful parking lot for dinner.

To see the picture of our first week, follow this link and this one.

Nouvelle Zélande – Ile Nord

Auckland et la péninsule Nord

1er jour : Samedi 3 octobre 2009

Nous atterrissons à Auckland aux aurores après un long et pénible vol. Bien que 14h de voyage ne soient plus une épreuve pour nous, le voyage en avion en classe éco est toujours moins confortable que n’importe quel bus… LAN ne fait vraiment aucun effort plus rendre ses vols plus agréables non plus… Pas grave, nous sommes la, très contents d’être en Nouvelle Zélande, on ne peut plus loin de la maison !

Apres avoir régler quelques affaires a l’aéroport nous récupérons avec grande émotion le van qui va nous servir de moyen de transport et de refuge pour le mois à venir. Après les dernières recommandations du loueur, direction le supermarché ou nous planifions avec soin nos prochains repas et remplissons le frigo puis enfin arrivons a notre premier camping (Remuera Motor Lodge) ou Nico prépare de délicieuses spaghetti a la bolognaise.

Ce après quoi nous prenons un bus pour le centre ville histoire de ne pas dormir de suite… pas grand-chose à dire au sujet d’Auckland si ce n’est la myriade de restaurants asiatiques plus alléchants les uns que les autres. Hormis cela, la ressemblance avec Dublin est déconcertante. Nous sommes à l’autre bout du monde et avons l’impression de nous être trompe de vol à Santiago.

Nous jouons un peu aux cartes le premier soir dans le van avant de nous endormir comme des masses.

2eme jour : Dimanche 4 octobre 2009

Dormir tôt implique inévitablement se réveiller tres tôt ; plus précisément a 5h et a 8h30 nous avons déjà pris un petit dejeuner gargantuesque et nous et le van sommes prêts a prendre la route en direction du Nord.

Nous prenons la cote, voyons de très jolies plages et nous arrêtons pour dejeuner dans le parc régional Shakespeare sur la péninsule Whangaparoa.

Nous continuons notre route vers le nord, un arrêt rapide a Mangawhau Heads pour se dégourdir un peu les jambes et autre un peu plus tard pour une « cup of tea » dans notre coquille d’escargot. Tout au long de la route nous nous regardons avec Renu et la question revient sans cesse : « sommes-nous de retour en Irlande ? ».

Nous nous arrêtons vers 18h pour passer la nuit a Matauri Bay (ou le Rainbow Warrior a été amené a la suite de l’attentat des services secrets français qui l’a fait couler prés d’Auckland en 1985). Le camping st sur la plage et la vue est tout simplement paradisiaque. C’est notre première nuit sur la route et c’est tellement bon d’être face au Pacifique, un verre de vin à la main, cuisinant un bon diner.

Jour 3 : Lundi 5 octobre 2009

Nous nous levons devant un des plus beaux paysages imaginables et Nico est tellement heureux qu’il court nu dans l’herbe…

Nous reprenons la route vers Doubtless Bay avec des paysages magnifiques tout le long et faisons une pause dejeuner a Matai Bay sur la péninsule Karikari. Eau turquoise et sable fin sont la vue que nous avons pendant que nous déjeunons.

Notre but est d’atteindre Cap Reinga dans la réserve Te Paki (et toi ?), a la pointe nord de l’ile. Avant cela, un autre arrêt a Waipapakauri Ramp et un petit tour sur 90 Mile Beach (c’est la longueur de la plage) au bord de la Mer Tasmane.

Cap Reinga est l’endroit ou l’Océan Pacifique rencontre la Mer Tasmane créant des vagues pouvant atteindre 10m les jours de tempête. C’est un endroit sacre pour les Maoris, le point de rencontre de la mer et de l’océan représentant le va et vient de l’homme et de la femme, le début de la vie. Egalement à Cap Reinga, un arbre Puhutukawa vieux de 800 ans ou pour les Maoris, l’esprit des morts glisse le long des racines pour passer dans un autre monde.

Nous quittons Cap Reinga a la recherche d’un endroit dans la réserve ou stopper pour la nuit car il est autorise d’y camper a condition d'être au moins a 500m de la route. Ce qui est bien sur plus facile a dire qu’a faire et après plus d’une heure a chercher en vain, nous éliminons toutes les possibilités soit pour des raisons de sécurité soit car nous craignons de nous embourber.

Nous voyons finalement un panneau pour un camping a Spirits Bay (on aurait du s’en méfier rien qu’a voir le nom…), a présent bien fatigues et donc bien irritables/irritants Nous arrivons au camping (les campings du Département de Conservation ne sont pour la plupart pas gardes et self service), nous payons dans la petite enveloppe prévue a cet effet et nous engageons sur un espace vert en pente et fraichement tondu, pensant que cela nous amène près de la plage ou les autres campeurs se sont installes. Bien sur, nous faisons fausse route et au bout de 50m nous restons bloques dans la boue car il a plus non-stop pendant 3j jours. Tout ca alors que nous venons de passer presque 2h a chercher un endroit ou cela ne pouvait pas arriver.

La nuit est bien tombe et après une mini engueulade de 2 minutes nous allons chercher de l’aide que nous trouvons au travers de pas moins de 7 allemands (que nous remercions encore aujourd’hui). Après une heure de tentative, nous sommes tous trempés et/ou couverts de boue et décidons d’abandonner ; nos amis allemands nous promettent de revenir avec le jour pour tenter à nouveau.

Nous passons donc la nuit embourbes jusqu'à l’essieu, stresses, et contre le stress un seul remède : beaucoup de vin.

Jour 4 : mardi 6 octobre 2009

Après une nuit pluvieuse ou nous n’avons quasiment pas ferme l’œil, nous nous levons plutôt de bonne humeur quant a la situation dans laquelle nous nous trouvons. Nous ouvrons les portes du van espérant que tout cela n’était qu’un mauvais rêve, mais non… Nous parlons du petit dejeuner que nous allons prendre et apercevons a ce moment la un magnifique cheval blanc, ou une licorne sans corne et sans ailes dans le champ d’a cote… Nico part a la recherche d’un téléphone pour appeler une dépanneuse mais malheureusement nous sommes dans un endroit sauvage et éloigne de tout relais téléphonique. La dame lui dit de retourner tranquillement au van, de prendre un café et des que son frère sera levé et son mari rentre de la pêche elle les enverra nous aider. Quelques minutes plus tard, un 4x4 arrive avec au volant le frère et à cote le neveu. En 30 secondes nous sommes sortis de la boue… merci a vous dont nous ne connaitrons jamais les noms.

Après le petit dejeuner, Nico lave son jean dans l’océan dont l’eau est aux alentours de 15 degrés en le frottant avec du sable/coquillages (quel gitan ce Nico !). Nous reprenons la route vers Ahipara, tout au bout de 90 Mile Beach, ou nous déjeunons et nous arrêtons en route dans une cave pour acheter du vin. Nous continuons jusqu'à KohuKohu passant une foret mystique/magique et prenons un ferry pour traverser Hokianga Harbour vers Rawene. De la nous continuons par la foret de Waipoua jusqu'à Matakohe ou nous passons la nuit dans un camping très laid.

Jour 5 : mercredi 7 octobre 2009

Nous commençons la journée tôt pour retourner sur Auckland ou nous resterons dans le même camping qu’a notre arrivée. L’après midi a Auckland nous faisons quelques courses et dinons dans un restaurant asiatique (anguille Teriyaki).

Coromandel et Rotorua

Jour 6 : jeudi 8 octobre 2009

Sur les recommandations du cousin de Renu (merci Navin), nous partons pour Hot Water Beach. La route que nous prenons y arriver entre Tapu et Coroglen est très étroite, en gravier (parfois bitume) et a double voie. 20km de stress car nous pensons qu’il peut pleuvoir d’un moment a l’autre et nous serions probablement bloques.

Nous passons par la suite un champ de dindes qui répondent a Nico quand se dernier s’adressent a elles. Nous sommes très excites d’arriver enfin a Hot Water Beach. La particularité de cette plage est que grâce a l’activité volcanique en sous sol, de  l’eau chaude remonte 2h avant et après la marée basse. Il suffit donc de creuser un trou assez grand pour s’y baigner et de voir ce dernier se remplir d’eau a environ 30 degrés. Se baigner dans l’océan est cependant fortement déconseillé à cause des courants violents (eau chaude et eau froide) qui se rencontrent à cet endroit. Notre malheur est que nous n’arrivons pas au bon moment (pleine marée haute) et nous décidons de continuer la route car nous n’avons pas longtemps en Nouvelle Zelande vu que nous voyageons à une moyenne (apparemment normale ici) de 50km/h. Une autre raison pour laquelle nous décidons de ne pas attendre est qu’il y a eu un tremblement de terre très violent au large de Santo dans le Pacifique et qu’une alerte tsunami a été lancée par le gouvernement néo-zélandais invitant à ne pas rester en bord de mer. Nous manquons donc également Cathedral Cove à cause du tsunami qui jamais ne fut.

Nous conduisons un peu et nous arrêtons près de Whenuakite pour dejeuner et continuons à rouler jusqu'à Rotorua (en laissant évidemment de cote Waihi Beach a cause de l’alerte… qui sera retirée plus tard ce jour).

Rotorua sent l’œuf pourri. Cela est du a la haute teneur en souffre de l’air, la ville étant pleine de geysers, bains de boue bouillonnant, source d’eau chaude montant a la surface a plus de 100degres… c’est un peu la Bourboule de Nouvelle-Zélande. Cette nuit la nous arrivons tard et utilisons donc pour la première fois le Lonely Planet pour trouver un endroit ou dormir et nous retrouvons dans un horrible petit camping/parking ou nous profitons au maximum des bains d’eau chaude naturelle.

Jour 7 : vendredi 9 octobre 2009

Ce matin la nous allons a Whakarewarewa, un village Maori, afin d’en apprendre un peu plus sur la culture Maori. Décevant, nous voyons beaucoup de piscines thermales qu’ils utilisent pour se baigner et cuisiner. A la fin nous avons droit à quelques chants et danses (dont un haka), et Nico participe contre sa volonté au dernier haka. Nous n’en saurons pas beaucoup plus sur la culture Maori.

On fait le plein du frigo au supermarché et prenons une route sans intérêt jusqu'à Taupo. Arrêt a un « i-site » pour savoir ou nous pouvons dormir (car nous en avons marre de payer une fortune pour dormir sur des parkings) et n nous dirige vers « Ried’s Farm », sur la route des chutes « Huka ». L’endroit est parfait, nous sommes au bord d’une rivière, dans la nature et en sécurité. Nous marchons 20minutes sous la pluie pour aller voir les chutes qui sont vraiment magnifiques et puissantes et retournons au campement pour jouer aux cartes et diner.

De Taupa a Wellington

Jour 8 : samedi 10 octobre 2009

Nous nous levons heureux dans cet endroit magnifique, petit déjeunons, vidons les eaux usées du van et remplissons d’eau potable aux endroits indiques dans Taupo et prenons la route en direction de Wellington. La route est a nouveau assez monotone, a part le vue du lac Taupo et les 56 km de route dans une aire désolée entre Turangi et Waiouru (utilisée essentiellement par l’armée pour des manœuvres) appelée « Desert Road », vous comprenez surement pourquoi. Il neige même un peu sur la route, les stations de ski ne sont pas loin.

Nous nous arrêtons sur une aire de pique-nique aux abords de Mangaweka, la vue sur la vallée et la rivière est tres belle. Nous continuons ensuite vers Wellington. Le plan initial était de trouver un endroit pour dormir en dehors de la ville mais nous atteignons Wellington plus vite que prévu. Cela implique que nous devons rester dans un autre de ces campings/parkings horribles juste a l’entrée de la ville, a Newlands… ceci dit, l’endroit est tres pratique. Nous pouvons enfin accéder a Internet pour réserver notre traversée en ferry jusqu'à Picton et acheter nos billets d’avion pour rejoindre Wellington depuis Christchurch, puis enfin Auckland.

Jour 9 : dimanche 11 octobre 2009

Nous trainons un peu le matin sachant que nous n’avons pas à conduire ce jour. Nous prenons le bus pour le centre de Wellington afin d’aller chercher nos tickets de concert pour « Fat Freddy’s Drop », concert qui a lieu a Wellington le 31 octobre et nous allons les voir jouer a domicile !! Nous déjeunons dans un restaurant asiatique de tres bonnes nouilles et marchons un peu sur le port puis visitons une infime partie du musée Te Papa. Wellington est une petite ville assez sympa mais comme toujours, ce n’est qu’une ville et cela ne nous excite que moyennement. Nous retournons ensuite au van dans ce magnifique parking pour diner.

Pour les photos de notre premier semaine c’est par la et par la.



  1. Poor lambs. Their fate is sealed! So where are you now then my lovlies? XX

  2. not heard from u since u arrived at oakland
    hope u r well
    we lost princess 3 months after gypsy she died painfully with a perforated ulcer..gutted...regards to nico pliz mail me to say ur both

  3. been in tuch with KMJ on her birthday shes ok..just in case u have not spoken no worries ur news up 2 11th oct dad