Monday, February 1, 2010

Cambodia – 9th – 20th January 2010 - Cambodge – 9-20 janvier 2010

Phnom Penh – 9th – 10th January

Saturday afternoon, we arrive in Phnom Penh around 6.30pm, after a long boat journey through the Mekong Delta, where we witnessed some beautiful landscapes along the way, this followed by a short bus journey into the city.  We take a tuk-tuk to the Top Banana Guesthouse where we stay for two days.  It’s a nice place, with very simple rooms, good enough for our short stay in the city.  We have dinner in  a restaurant that specialises in Khmer and Thai food ... spicy like fire and simply delicious.  We’re in bed very early that night and sleep like babies.

Sunday morning, we have breakfast on a lovely terrace just across from the hotel, but unfortunately the food was crap and the price extortionate ... wasn’t Cambodia supposed to be cheap?  We then jump into a tuk-tuk that takes us to the S-21 prison, where the Khmers Rouge did a lot of their interrogations on their ‘prisoners’, and thus carried out some very brutal torture techniques on them.  They also show a heart-rending video on the life of a family under the Pol Pot regime.  We take a look around the rest of the building, that was once a school, in tears.  Too much suffering, in such a recent time.  Are humans really capable of this stuff?  It’s too hard for us, we leave with a massive frog in our throat. 
We keep walking for a while, towards the Royal Palace, but the heat of the day is too fierce for us to take that we make our way back towards the hostel.  Lunch in the same place as last night ... super spicy!!! ... siesta, diner and sleep again :-)

Sihanoukville – 11th – 12th January.

At the bus station Monday morning, getting a bus to Sihanoukville, in the south, to enjoy some chilled out beach time.  Here, just before boarding, we meet an Aussie that tries to rip us off ... he asks for a few dollars cause apparently his bags got stolen ... he’s apparently there every morning!  Once on the bus, we’re excited to see that they put the video on for a film; our hearts then sink when we see that it’s a karaoke video ... just surreal. 

Our hearts sink once again when we arrive in Sihanoukville.  The hotel is nice enough ... but both the town and the beach a both great catastrophes!  Maybe we’re now spoilt after having seen so many beautiful place already ... but it is important to note that there was nothing here before the end of the 50’s ... the French then created a little fishing port, and so tourism started to grow here, but in a rather hap-hazard way. The buildings are ugly, the beach is dirty and together with some rather off-putting odours (most likely coming from the beach bars and restaurants) there’s not a whoel lot of reason to stay.  We planned on staying a few days, but instead decide to leave the next day on a night bus for Siem Reap.  Dinner at the hotel and an early night. 

The next day we spend hanging around the hotel, waiting for our bus to get out of there. 

Siem Reap – 13th – 20th January 2010.

We spend the night in a ‘disco-bus’, and arrive in Siem Reap at around 7am Wednesday morning.  The tuk-tuk driver gives us a bit of a headache with his sales pitch to take us to see the temples, we kindly try to make him understand that we’re knackered and just want to sleep, and he eventually starts the engine to take us to the hotel.  The room is not ready, so we take a walk and have breakfast.  Our first impression is that Siem Reap is a really pretty little town, and the people seem lovely. 
After a massage with the blind again (really not bad, though the setting is hardly your regular luxury spa), we meet Sam at his hostel for a drink (the American guy we met in Chau Doc, Vietnam) and end up having a real laugh with some other guys we meet there.  It’s quite late by the time we realize that we haven’t had dinner yet, so end up having a yummy noodle soup at one of the street stands.  

See the Photos.

Thursday morning, we decide to move to Sam’s hostel, the Garden Village Guesthouse, much cheaper and much nicer.  We hire some bikes to discover the town a bit and hunt for a swimming pool … with no success :-(
That evening we have drinks again with Sam at the hostel, and with the Canadian couple we met last night, Melanie and Justin, as well as Michael from France. 

Friday, wake up at 4.30am … it’s hard as the night before we’d stayed up late and had quite a few.  We leave by tuk-tuk with Michael at 5am to watch the sunrise at Angkor Wat and then spent the morning visiting the other amazingly beautiful temples in the area.  This is probably the largest collection of religious structures in the world, and is the symbol of Cambodia’s great past.  It was really serene wondering through these semi-ruins soaking in the hot sun and the beautiful colours
The only disappointing part, which is probably the most important part, is that we later learn that the $20 you pay to get in does not go to the Cambodian people, or to its government to help build a country where there is less poverty, or even to the restoration of these gorgeous buildings … but instead to a foreign private company that the Cambodian government sold the place to.  For this reason, we made a hard decision not to return as we disagreed with where our money was going, and so we missed out on seeing some of the other beautiful temples we didn’t see that day … a real shame.  

Click on the temple for the photos: Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Preah Khan, Neak Pean, Ta Som, East Mebon and Pre Rup.

From Saturday to Wednesday, there’s not much to tell.  We spent the days relaxing at the hotel, updating the blog ... taste the famous, and delicious Cambodian BBQ, apply for an extended visa for Thailand (crossing our fingers that they do not lose our passports!), a fish massage - designed to eat the dead skin from your feet (!!!) ... very funny, but quite useless … and more blog updates. 

We are very disappointed at not having enough time to see the North-East part of the country … but we have to leave for Thailand … notably Bangkok, where we meet Liz and Seb!  Our bus leaves at 8am on Wednesday morning for Poipet, a casino town on the border.  We cross the border on foot, and then wait for another bus that is to take us to Khao San road in Bangkok.  

More Photos.

We will certainly come back to Cambodia, our time here was too short … but we still thoroughly enjoyed it and really appreciated how wonderful the people are. 

Phnom Penh – 9-10 Janvier 2010.

Samedi 9 janvier 2010 :
Nous arrivons a Phnom Penh vers 18h30 après une longue journée en bateau démarrée dans le delta du Mékong et pendant lequel nous avons traverse des paysages magnifiques suivi d’un court trajet en bus. Nous sautons dans un touk-touk en direction de notre hostel (le Top Banana Guesthouse). L’accueil est plutôt sympa, la chambre très simple mais cela nous suffira pour deux nuits car nous n’avons pas l’intention de nous attarder a Phnom Penh plus que ca. Nous dinons dans un resto de spécialités Khmers et Thaïs. Délicieux. Et nous endormons comme des bébés très tôt.

Dimanche 10 janvier 2010 :
Petit dejeuner très moyen en face de l’hostel. On prend un touk-touk jusqu'à ce qui fut la prison S-21 lors de la folie des Khmers rouges. Nous y voyons un documentaire poignant sur la vie d’une famille sous le régime de Pol Pot et visitons rapidement le reste du bâtiment qui était à la base une école. Dur. Nous marchons ensuite un peu vers le Palais Royal mais la chaleur est telle que nous rentrons vite vers l’hostel, déjeunons dans le même petit resto que la veille (super épicé !!!). Sieste. Achat des billets de bus pour partir a Sihanoukville le lendemain matin. Diner. Dodo.


Sihanoukville – 11-12 janvier 2010.

Lundi 11 janvier 2010 :
Bus local avec karaoké à fond jusqu'à Sihanoukville, ville nouvelle en bord de mer dans le sud du pays. Nous avons décidé de passer quelques jours au bord de l’eau avant de remonter vers Siem Reap. Quelle déception a l’arrivée à Sihanoukville… L’hôtel est assez sympa mais la ville et la plage sont deux catastrophes. Il faut savoir qu’il n’y avait rien ici jusqu'à la fin des années 50. Puis les français ont construit un petit port de pèche et enfin le tourisme a pris le dessus de manière assez anarchique. Les bâtiments sont vilains et la plage jonchée d’ordures provenant essentiellement des bars de plage. Nous décidons donc de repartir le lendemain soir en bus de nuit pour Siem Reap. Le soir nous dinons à l’hôtel et nous couchons de bonne heure.

Mardi 12 janvier 2010 :
Rien à signaler, nous passons la majeure partie de la journée à attendre avec impatience que la journée se termine pour prendre le bus pour Siem Reap.

Siem Reap – 13-20 janvier 2010.

Mercredi 13 janvier 2010 :
Nous arrivons vers 7h du mat à Siem Reap après une nuit en discobus. Le chauffeur du touk-touk qui doit nous conduire à l’hôtel commence à nous déballer son speech de commercial pour nous emmener visiter les temples… On lui fait gentiment comprendre que nous sommes fatigues et nous arrivons enfin à l’hôtel. Vu que la chambre n’est pas prête nous partons marcher un peu et prendre un petit dejeuner. Siem Reap est a première vue une petite ville tres agréable et les locaux le sont aussi. Après le petit dej, nous retournons a l’hôtel rattraper notre nuit, puis ensuite nous enchainons dejeuner, massage, et apéro avec Sam que nous avions rencontres a Chau Doc. Nous rencontrons des gens sympas ce soir la et rentrons nous coucher après un diner tardif.


Jeudi 14 janvier 2010 :
Nous changeons d’hôtel pour rejoindre le Garden Village Guesthouse, beaucoup moins cher et bien plus sympa. Nous louons des vélos pour balader un peu et rechercher une piscine… sans succès…
Le soir nous restons au Garden Village à discuter avec Sam, Justin et Melanie. Nous faisons également la connaissance de Michael avec qui nous irons visiter quelques temples le lendemain.

Vendredi 15 janvier 2010 :
Lever difficile a 4h30 car la veille nous avons un peu picole. Nous partons en touk-touk avec Michael a 5h pour aller observer le lever de soleil a Angkor Wat, traverser furtivement Angkor Thom et s'attarder sur Preah Khan, Neak Pean, Ta Som, East Mebon et Pre Rup.
La visite s’achève vers midi sous une chaleur étouffante. Nous sommes vraiment heureux d’avoir eu la chance de voir ces merveilles mais vraiment tres déçus d’apprendre que les 20 dollars US de droit d’entrée ne vont pas au gouvernement ni aux locaux mais a une société privée étrangère qui gère le site. De ce fait nous décidons de boycotter et de ne pas retourner voir les temples que nous n’avons pas eu le temps de visiter ce jour.

Samedi 16 Janvier 2010 :
Rien à signaler. Mise à jour du blog et le soir barbecue cambodgien.

Dimanche 17 janvier 2010 :
RAS. Recherche d’une piscine que nous ne trouverons jamais + mise à jour du blog.
Le matin nous laissons nos passeports a la réception du Garden Village pour obtention d’un visa d’au moins un mois pour la Thaïlande car nous allons passer la frontière a pied et dans ce cas le visa délivré n'est valable que 2 semaines. Nous croisons les doigts pour que les passeports reviennent mardi, la veille de notre départ en bus pour la Thaïlande.

Lundi 18 janvier :
Idem + massage des pieds par poissons dans un aquarium géant. Rigolo mais assez inutile…

Photos des trois derniers jours.

Mardi 19 janvier :
Mise à jour du blog. Nos passeports reviennent avec un visa valable 2 mois pour la Thaïlande.

Mercredi 20 janvier :
Nous sommes profondément déçus de ne pas être restes plus longtemps pour découvrir le nord-est du pays. Notre bus part à 8h pour Poipet, ville casino à la frontière. La nous traversons à pied et nous retrouvons en Thaïlande à entendre un autre bus qui cette fois doit nous déposer sur Khao San road à Bangkok.

Nous sommes certains de retourner un jour Cambodge tant les gens sont différents de ce que nous avons vu au Vietnam.

No comments:

Post a Comment