Sunday, February 21, 2010

Southern Thailand: Wednesday 20th January – Tuesday 2nd February 2010 - Sud Thaïlande: mercredi 20 jan au mardi 2 fev 2010.

Bangkok, 20th – 22nd January

We leave Siem Reap early Wednesday morning in crappy bus that takes us to Poipet where we cross the border to Thailand.  We cross on foot, and take serious note of the sign to all tourists that reads something along these lines:  “ ... any dealings with illegal substances may lead to life imprisonment or execution...”  Sorry, did we read that right “execution!!!” ... scary.  We walk on through with a shiver down our spines.   Once we’ve finished with immigration formalities, we hang around waiting for everyone for an hour before then walking for about 1km with our big bags to somewhere for lunch and to catch our minivan to Bangkok, Khao San Road. 

Our first impression of Bangkok ... super touristy, but still pretty funky ... would have enjoyed it more at 18 years old.  We rest off the bus for a few hours before making ourselves pretty to meet Seb and Liz at 8pm on Soi Rambutri.  We’re so excited to see them ... so many places that we’ve passed we’ve thought of them and how much they would have loved it ... they must have heard our thoughts, because they have also left Ireland to travel for a year.  It was a great catch up night with them over drinks and dinner. 

Thursday, Nico and I start the day with a swim in the rooftop swimming pool of our hotel.  The morning is then spent looking for a new place to stay the night for all of us, lunch with Seb and Liz, bus ticket purchasing to go down south and of course, and evening of Thai boxing ... watching it, not doing it, of course.  Before going into the arena, we stop at a food stall to fill our bellies with some delicious soup ... this is where we discover that one of the “don’ts” in Asia is taken quite seriously over here.  Liz snuggles up to her man and gives him a little kiss ... public displays of affection are not accepted in most parts of Asia ... Seb and Liz found the man or woman (not sure which) come running towards them waving his/her finger at them, screeching in a witch like voice to them ‘ugly’.  We got the message.  The boxing match was super cool though!

Friday is started with a swim again, and then some more cultural activities.  We visit the Ko Ratanakosin area where we marvel at the beautiful temples and especially at the ‘Reclining Buddha’ ... which is more than impressive!  We have a blissful massage at the Wat Pho Thai Massage School while we are there and then head back towards the hotel to eat the greatest street Pad Thai in the country!  It’s then to the bus station to catch our night bus to Surat Thani ... the plan is to relax on the beach for a few days...

See here for the pictures.

Krabi, 23rd – 26th January

It’s a difficult journey, especially as the stewardess on the bus is a (for want of a better word) bitch.  She screams at Liz and Renu ‘You go now!’ as they are a bit long gathering their stuff to get off of the bus.  To top it off, once we arrive in Surat Thani at 5am, we then get screwed by a tuc-tuc taxi driver that takes us to an agency to buy our tickets for Krabi, instead of direct to the bus station.  So of course, the ticket is more expensive and it all takes longer ...never mind, it’s our own fault really, we should have got a direct bus to Krabi from Bangkok.  We eventually get to Krabi around 10.30am Saturday morning, where we take a long-tail boat to Hat Rai Leh, to the Ya Ya resort, simple but effective bungalows.

We spend the few days here relaxing on the different beaches, getting massages, eating, watching the sunset, and drinking cocktails on the lounge mats at some cool bars.  General beach lifeJ

Nico and Renu had planned to leave on the Monday morning to Koh Phi Phi, but Renu had a light bout of sun stroke and so we postponed until Tuesday.

Pictures are here.

Koh Phi Phi, 26th January – 1st February;   Phuket, 1st – 2nd February

Tuesday morning, we take the ferry, together with Seb and Liz to Koh Phi Phi Island.  As we hadn’t booked anywhere, we find ourselves staying at Twin Palms resort, right on the party beach.  The bungalows were very sweet, but the ‘boom boom’ was loud until 1am.  The first night we joined in the party and Nico got accused of stealing someone’s flip flops ... funny.  The next day, Nico and Renu spent their time on quiet Long Beach and found a place to stay the following night.  The beautiful Viking Resort that had its own little private beach.  Renu also manages to pull a muscle in her leg, very practical for walking in the sand.  That night we had a quiet drink at a little bar up the beach, called the Sunflower bar and then laughed in our rooms as we tried to sleep while the bungalow walls vibrated with the music on the beach. 

Thursday morning, we all gather our bags and get a transfer boat the Viking resort.  When we get there, though we still think the place is beautiful, we realise that the staff are inept, and that they’d put us in a bungalow that was a ten minute walk away through the forest.  We end up having to pay three times more than we expected to get a bungalow at a reasonable distance.  Nico gets so angry with the whole situation that he goes into a huff for the day, sulking like a three year old, while Renu has to refrain herself from dunking his head in the water to get him out of it! 

Despite the difficult start, we end up having a wonderful time here.  The setting is really quite perfect, and we spend our time lazing about on the beach, feeling very special to be sipping at Pina Colada’s on our private beach that is beautifully decorated, playing cards on our veranda, making our way back and forth to Long Beach climbing over the rocks, and soaking in the sun.

On Saturday, we have a wonderful day as we take a boat trip around Phi Phi Island, out to Maya beach where they filmed the Leonardi Di Caprio movie, The Beach (not very exciting), snorkelling in a few different places, stop at Monkey Island and Bamboo Island.   We see dolphins and even a Manta Ray that jumps into the air about a meter out of the water!  We snorkel at Sharks Point where we  try to see Reef Sharks, but unfortunately it’s not the right time of day. 

The next day Renu and Nico go out again on their own, early in the morning, to try to spot them, but they soon give up as the current is far too strong and we have difficulty swimming against it.  We were sad to not see them, but at least we tried.  It’s full moon that night ... and this is where we really see with our own eyes how the moon and the tide are linked.  That evening, the tide is so low that you can walk right out and around to Long Beach from our beach ... it was so strange to see.  We have a last dinner with the Fleury’s ... where we think we see a flying UFO, but actually turns out to be a lantern that is lit for weddings ... and then say goodbye to them the next morning as we take our boat to Phuket.  As lovely as it was, we found ourselves getting bored with beach life, we needed to be more active, so we’d booked a flight out of Phuket to Chiang Mai in the north of Thailand.  In Phuket we do nothing but hang around our hotel and watch films. 

Click here and here for the pics.

Sud Thaïlande: mercredi 20 janvier au mardi 2 février 2010.

Bangkok, mercredi 20 au vendredi 22 janvier 2010.

Mercredi matin, nous prenons un bus de Siem Reap à Poipet ou nous effectuons les formalités douanières de sortie du territoire cambodgien et d’entrée du territoire thaïlandais. Nos passeports sont revenus la veille avec nos visas d’une validité de 2 mois donc tout va bien. En traversant la frontière a pied, nous avons note un panneau du cote thaïlandais qui indique clairement que toute personne se faisant prendre avec de la drogue sera juge et encourt des peines allant de la prison a vie jusqu'à la peine de mort. On ne va donc pas acheter de drogue en Thaïlande. En tout cas, pas aujourd’hui. Passée la douane, nous attendons le reste des passagers de notre bus et marchons un bon petit kilomètre avec les sacs jusqu'à un des paillottes ou nous déjeunons et ou les mini vans viennent nous prendre pour nous conduire jusqu'à Khao San Road, Bangkok.

La première impression que nous nous faisons de Bangkok n’est pas géniale. Plein d’attrape touristes a tous les coins de rue et pleins d e touristes qui s’y font attraper. A part cela, ca grouille d’adolescents européens venant se faire tatouer ou se bourrer la gueule. On aurait du leur dire qu’ils pouvaient faire la même chose pour moins cher en Espagne. Notre hôtel, le Rambuttri Village Inn, n’est pas trop mal avec ses deux piscines sur le toit et un peu plus au calme. Nous nous rafraichissons et descendons prendre un verre dans Soi Rambuttri en attendant Seb et Liz qui sont arrives la veille et dont l’hôtel se trouve a l’autre bout de la ville. C’est bon de revoir des visages familiers cette soirée nous passons de la bière au mojito et tares vite la fatigue s’empare de nous tous.

Jeudi matin, nous commençons la journée avec un petit détour par la piscine pour faire quelques longueurs, hygiène de vie oblige. Nous partons ensuite a la recherche de deux chambres car notre hôtel est complet ce soir la. Nous déjeunons avec Seb et Liz, prenons un taxi jusqu'à la gare ferroviaire se renseigner sur les billets pour Surat Thani et décidons finalement que nous prendrons le bus. Donc on saute dans un autre taxi pour la gare routière cette fois et achetons nos billets pour un bus de nuit confortable pour le lendemain soir. Le soir nous allons voir une réunion de Muay Thaï et avant ca nous restaurons dans des petits restos de rue a l’entrée de la salle. Seb et Liz découvrent rapidement qu’il est mal vu en Thaïlande de témoigner son affection en public… Uglyyyyyyyy !!! Les combats de Muay Thaï sont pas mal du tout.

Vendredi, nous commençons la journée pas un petit plongeon encore une fois. Ensuite nous allons visiter Ko Ratanakosin, un quartier rempli de temples bouddhistes et un Bouddha allonge de plus de 20 mètres de long. Nous nous faisons masser a l’école de massage thaï de Wat Pho et repartons ensuite vers notre hôtel pour boire un coup, manger un des meilleurs pad thaïs de Thaïlande et se diriger enfin vers la gare routière.

Pour les photos, c'est par ici.

Krabi, samedi 23 au mardi 26 janvier 2010.

Le trajet en bus est long et pénible d’autant plus que l’hôtesse fait un peu sa conasse. Renu et Liz ont mal vécu le fait de se faire crier dessus a 5h du mat pour sortit du bus car nous étions arrives a destination a Surat Thani. A la gare, nous nous faisons alpaguer par un taxi qui nous propose de nous amener à une autre gare pour un bus en direction de Krabi. Il nous dépose en fait à l’agence de voyage de son pote ou nous payons plus cher que le prix normal pour prendre un bus pourave qui en fait part d’un autre endroit. Bref, 3h de bus supplémentaire et des dizaines de clopes plus tard nous arrivons enfin a Krabi ou nous petit déjeunons et ou un bateau nous prend et nous débarque a Hat Rai Leh. Nous nous posons a Ya Ya Resort, épuisés et heureux d’être enfin arrives a la playa.

Nous passons les quelques jours qui suivent a prendre le soleil, nager, faire l’apéro le soir a la fraiche, manger et fumer un peu d’herbe locale qui fait perdre a Nicolas son sens de la communication. La vie de plage quoi…
Renu et Nico avaient prévu de partir pour Koh Phi Phi le lundi mais nous avons retarde le départ d’un jour car Renu souffre d’une insolation.

Koh Phi Phi, mardi 26 janvier au lundi 1er février 2010.

Nous embarquons sur un énorme yacht/ferry le matin avec Seb et Liz. Comme nous n’avions rien réservé nous posons nos sacs au Twin Palms Resort, en plein milieu de la plage ou tous les soirs la musique cartonne jusqu'à minuit et les gens bourres trainent jusqu’au matin. Les bungalows sont sympas mais pas du tout insonorises. Le soir nous allons prendre un verre et un mec bourre de presque deux mètres accuse Nico de lui avoir vole ses claquettes. Comment lui expliquer ? Le jour suivant Nico et Renu passent la journée sur Long Beach et dénichent un autre hôtel pour le lendemain. Le Viking Resort, jolis bungalows en bois avec super déco et plage privée. Renu se fait même un petit claquage en sautant d’un rocher. Pratique pour marcher dans le sable. Le soir nous prenons un verre peinards au Sunflower bar et rions nerveusement en essayant de nous endormir alors que notre bungalow saute au rythme des basses.

Jeudi matin, nous rassemblons nos sacs et prenons un petit dej sur le port avant de monter sur un bateau qui nous débarque au Viking Resort. Bien que l’endroit soit magique, nous réalisons vite que le staff est nul (surtout le staff non-thaï et spécialement deux blondes anglaises inutiles). Ils nous ont mis dans des bungalows à dix minutes à pied de la plage et nous devons donc payer 2 fois plus cher pour avoir ce qui était prévu. Enflures ! Nico fait la gueule toute la journée comme un gosse de 3 ans a cause de ca et Renu se retient de lui en mettre une, ou deux…

Malgré ce début difficile, nous passons un merveilleux moment. Encore une fois, nous passons notre temps sur la plage, au bar ou au lit pendant qu’en Europe il neige !

Samedi, journée magnifique, nous prenons un bateau pour faire le tour de Phi Phi, et nager avec masques et tuba a Maya Beach (la plage du film « The Beach »), Monkey Island et Bamboo Island. Nous avons pu voir des dauphins et également une raie immense qui sautait hors de l’eau juste avant le coucher de soleil. Nous avons également essaye d’observer des petits requins de corail mais ce n’était pas le bon moment de la journée et le courant était très fort.

Le lendemain matin, Renu et Nico décident de retenter l’expérience avec les requins mais le courant est encore plus fort qu’hier et ils n’ont pas de bateau qui puisse les secourir en cas de pépin, sans succès donc. Au moins nous aurons essaye. Ce soir la c’est pleine lune et nous avons droit a une très grande marée. Tous les coraux de la plage jusqu'à 100 mètres au large sont hors de l’eau. Nous avons notre dernier diner avec les Fleury… pendant lequel nous pensons être témoins de vols d’OVNI mais il ne s’agit que de lanternes de mariage qui s’envolent. Nous leur disons au revoir le lendemain matin et prenons notre bateau pour Phuket ou nous allons passer la nuit avant notre vol pour Chiang Mai dans le nord de la Thaïlande.

Photos ici et ici.


  1. wicked!!!!!! :o) Sara xxxxx

  2. C'est qui les bonzes dans l'eau entourés de deux playmates? Y'a des belougas en Thailande?
    La galoche, vous nous manquez!