Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cordillera – Sagada, Bontoc, Banaue, 1st – 3rd December 2009 - Cordillera – Sagada, Bontoc, Banaue: mardi 1er au jeudi 3 décembre 2009.

The saying is ‘no rest for the wicked’, in this case though, we changed this to ‘no rest for the innocent’, as we got poor Celine onto another 7 hour hard seated bus ride to Sagada, north of Baguio.  However, it was one thing to be on a bus with the hardest seats on the planet for 7 hours, it was quite another thing to be clinging to each other and exchanging glances of fear as we pass on roads where the bus tyres are a razor blade distance from the cliff edge.  The roads looked like they had been melted away by the sun, sunken in, falling in on themselves to the point where at some points there was literally half the road missing!  The roads were actually in that state due to all the typhoons the Philippines had recently experienced.  It’s a common case where such countries have to constantly rebuild roads every few years as they’ve been destroyed by landslides after a storm has hit.

We met two French dudes on the bus, Henri and Thibaud, who very kindly sorted us out with a small but pleasant enough room (with a great view) at Sagada Homestay, the hostel that they were staying at...though it was cold at night and the owner charged Celine for the use of an extra blanket!  There’s a first time for everything!

It’s late afternoon by the time we set out into the very pretty and peaceful village of Sagada.  We have a drink at a little cafe overlooking the valley, mainly to calm our nerves from the bus ride and then we take a short walk through the village.  Here, we felt really far from everything...it was a good feeling.  We stop at the market to buy a few bits and pieces for our lunch the following day as we decided tht we wanted to stay put for at least a day, the idea alone of taking another bus exhausts us!

After our walk around the market we bump into Henri and Thibaud again, and invite them for a drink to thank them for finding us a bed to sleep in for the night.  We stop in a little cafe where they have possibly the worst toilets we’ve ‘experienced’ on our travels so far, and of course, they also sold dog meat ... a speciality of Filipino cuisine!

At this point, we’ll take the opportunity to explain a little about the food in this country.  While not every meal we was un-appetising ...most were difficult to manage.  Of course, we recognise here, that this is simply a question of tastes and flavours that you are used to and have been brought up with.  Though we are all open to food from around the world, we have to say that we found Filipino food a challenge to stomach.  We were tried many things, and it must be said that we are not at all fussy with our food, but we never really grew fond of the local food.  This inevitably led to us not eating much at all. 

Besides dog meat, there is another speciality – a popular snack (both of which are quite common in many parts of Asia), in the Philippines they named this ‘Ballute’.  A quick translation; a boiled egg (so far so good) containing the semi-formed embryo of a duck, with feathers and all!  Hard core!  We didn’t try it ... though we did have fun imitating the ladies that passed by in the early mornings with baskets full of the stuff, shouting repeatedly in a loud high-pitched voice ‘BAALLUUUTE!’  It became our them tune throughout the Philippines.

So now you’ll understand why that evening we opted for a French restaurant near the hostel, that had glowing reviews...but that was crap too!

The next day, we’re up early-ish, fresh and ready for a day of hiking.  We make our way through the village, stop for breakfast at the Yoghurt House and continue a few kilometres further, gazing at the beautiful rice terraces, with the scenic mist as a backdrop to our view.

We pass some ‘hanging coffins’ – a very strange concept (to us), where the elite class of the region pay a lot (either through money or cattle), to be mummified, put in wooden coffins and suspended from high cliff edges.  It’s mad to see, how on earth did they get those coffins up there?!  One of our pictures shows a skull sat on top of one of the coffins, if you look closely enough. 

Our next destination is a scary cave ... though quite beautiful...and full of bats!  We’re looking for another cave though, a burial cave, that is apparently filled with coffins, similar to those hanging that we saw.  We met some other tourists that had hired a guide (we didn’t bother) that told us where to find it.  We made our way back towards the village, and lucky that we were told, cause we would never had guessed that this little pathway led to what we were looking for.  At the entrance we were shocked to find hundreds of coffins piled up on top of each other, the site was breathtaking.

Now, back through the village to the other side, past an odd looking church, past a school as the children came out for lunch and laughed as they stared in utter fascination at the three of us walking up the hill.  We were looking for Echo Valley, where if you shout out loud, well, it echoes...it’s also where you can get a better view of the coffins.  We had trouble finding the place, it was only after climbing another hill through a cemetery did we find it...even then it wasn’t so obvious...this is the beauty of the Philippines.   We’re in a place where not many tourists have set foot, so as a result, there are no obvious paths or signposts leading you to where you want to go.  We had fun for a few minutes calling out each others’ names, and Nico calling out naughty words (little rascal) ... but still, the hanging coffins are nowhere to be seen.  We climb up another bit of rock and then down a bit again, until finally there they are.  One glitch, you can only see them if you kind of lurch the upper part of your body over the edge of the cliff ... the height thing became a bit much for Renu and Celine so they stepped back into safety ... Nico on the other hand may have a deep fear or flying, but has no fear of heights when on a cliff edge.  So there he is sanding on the edge, taking photos, while watching him almost puts Celine and Renu into a state of cardiac arrest!

We walk back to the hotel to make up our tuna and salad sandwiches before setting out again.  Next destination is a lake a few kilometres away, round the back of the village up a gravel path.  We stop at a pottery shop where we meet a lady who is at work and very kindly shows us around her place and all her different work.  The massive spider on the wall puts us off from staying too long though.  We continue on until we reach the un-impressive lake, take a few photos of the funny flowers around and then back to the hostel to shower and freshen up.

Back to the Yoghurt House for some pre-dinner drinks, Renu and Celine sit on the veranda and chatter away, while Nico sits inside and updates the blog.  We stay for dinner, eating downstairs as there’s a cosy fire burning.  Dinner is quite good, and we eat reflecting on what a great day it’s been!

We need to get to Bontoc, which is a one hour jeepney ride away.  The view are just lovely all the way, but of course we’re a little nervous to be back on the typhoon destroyed roads again, especially as it rained last night.

We spend the morning in Bontoc, first at the museum to see some fascinating objects and pictures of the northern population of the Philippines, learning a little more about the culture, including a tribe known as the Headhunters that would cut off the heads of their enemies and bring them back to their people as a prize!

We walk around Bontoc for a while, really nothing to see, before we’re back in another jeepney for 3 hours heading for beautiful Banaue.  We stop a little before Banaue where there is the most spectacular view of the rice terraces.  It’s breathtaking to see, the three of us stand there taking in the fresh air and reflecting on how lucky we are to be there.  Here we meet three sweet old ladies chewing on some red substance that is apparently supposed to prevent tooth decay ... as lovely as they were, looking at their teeth, this red stuff didn’t seem to work very well!

We continue walking for a bit, until we pass the tourist police station, where they suggest we take a tricycle to the village, as it’s quite far, especially with our bags.  We chat with the policeman for a while until he eventually flags one down for us.  We look wondering how on earth we’re going to fit all of our bags as well as ourselves on this thing.  We manage of course, but then we clasp our hands in prayer as the tricycle rolls down the hill, and with all our weight, at great speed!  The driver is lovely and stops twice for us to take pictures.  Once are nerves have calmed, we look out and realise what a lovely walk it could have been if we didn’t have our bags.  If we weren’t on a short time scale we would have stayed longer to enjoy the area a little.

As it happens, we have time for a late lunch at a big ugly hotel (but with a great view), and a few beers with Henri and Thibaud before we were back on a freezing cold air-conditioned bus to Manila, 11 hours away.  In Manila in the early hours of the morning, we go to grab breakfast, Renu has a taxi reverse into her as we cross the road, and then we’re back on a bus to Naga, another 11 hours away, southeast of the north island of Luzon.

For the pictures, click here, here and here.

Cordillera – Sagada, Bontoc, Banaue: mardi 1er au jeudi 3 décembre 2009.

« Pas de repos pour les innocents !»Nous forçons Celine à monter dans un nouveau bus aux sièges durs comme du bois, et ce pour un trajet de 7 heures jusqu'à Sagada, au nord de Baguio. Les filles se lancent des regards apeures tout au long du trajet alors que le bus emprunte des routes accrochées aux falaises avec parfois des à pic de plus de 100 mètres. Des glissements de terrain ca et la réduisant la chaussée de moitie nous rappellent qu’en cas de pluie il vaut mieux éviter les voyages dans ce pays.

Dans le bus nous sympathisons avec deux Français, Henri et Thibault. Henri aura la gentillesse de nous réserver une chambre par téléphone  dans une petite pension, Sagada Homestay, car il connait le coin. Etant en stage à Manille pendant quelques mois il a eu le temps de s’échapper de cet enfer pour voir un peu de pays. Les nuits sont fraiches et la patronne demandera un petit extra à Celine en échange d’une couverture supplémentaire. Comme quoi il ya une première fois a tout !

Il est tard dans l’après midi lorsque nous partons nous aventurer dans Sagada, petit village joli et calme. Nous prenons un verre dans un petit café a flanc de colline pour nous détendre du voyage en bus et reprenons notre petite visite du village (une rue principale). Qu’il est bon de sentir loin de tout. Nous faisons une halte au marche pour faire des provisions pour le lendemain car nous avons décidé de rester quelques jours. L’idée de reprendre un bus trop tôt nous étant insupportable.

Nous retombons par hasard sur nos deux Français et les invitons à prendre un verre pour les remercier de nous avoir trouvé la chambre. Les toilettes du café sont probablement les pires que nous ayons vues dans notre voyage et la spécialité du café et bien évidemment la viande de chien… une spécialité culinaire du nord des Philippines.

Bien que tous nos repas n’est pas été immangeables, la plupart nous ont demande beaucoup d’effort. Bien sur tout n’est qu’une question de gouts. Mais nous sommes quand même assez ouverts d’un point de vue culinaire et force est d’admettre que la cuisine Philippine est un challenge pour l’estomac. Tout cela nous a amène à limiter notre consommation de nourriture pendant notre séjour aux Philippines. J’entends déjà les moqueurs qui vont s’empresser de trouver cela une très bonne idée pour Nicolas...

Hormis la viande de chien, il ya une autre spécialité appelé « ballut ». Un met apprécié des fins gourmets, un snack populaire. Il s’agit d’un œuf contenant un fœtus de canard au stade de développement avance, bouilli et consomme dans sa coquille. Il n’est pas rare d’y trouver quelques plumes et un bec… nous ne nous y sommes pas essayes mais nous avons beaucoup ri en imitant les cris des vendeurs ambulants de ballut : « balluuuuuuuuut !!! ». Ce cri est devenu notre cri de ralliement aux Philippines.

Vous comprendrez donc pourquoi ce soir la nous avons opte pour un soi-disant restaurant français proche de notre pension dont les critiques dans le guide étaient assez élogieuses… en vérité ce n’était que très moyen.

Le jour suivant, levés tôt, frais et prêts pour une journée de marche. En traversant le village nous faisons halte pour un petit dejeuner au Yoghurt House et continuons sur quelques kilomètres, admirant les rizières en terrasses, la brume en arrière plan de ce magnifique paysage.

Nous passons des cercueils suspendus à la falaise, un concept assez étrange pour nous, dans lesquels seules les personnes faisant partie de l’élite du village ont le droit de se faire momifier en échange de beaucoup d’argent ou d’animaux d’élevage. Une des photos que nous avons postées montre un crane pose sur un cercueil si vous regardez de près. Nous nous dirigeons ensuite vers une grotte qui on nous a dit était pleine de chauve souris. Un autre lieu de sépulture qui est emplie de cercueils, similaires a ceux suspendus sur la falaise. Nous rencontrons d’autres touristes qui ont paye les services d’un guide pour s’aventurer dans la cave et qui nous indique comment s’y rendre. Nous sommes bien surpris lorsqu’arrives a l’entrée de la grotte nous apercevons un entassement de plus d’une centaine de ces cercueils.

De retour nous passons le village, une étrange église, une école d’où les enfants sortent pour aller dejeuner et nous regardent d’un air amuse alors que nous montons une colline a la recherche de la vallée de l’écho. Un point de vue d’où il est possible de mieux observer les cercueils suspendus. Nous avons eu du mal à trouver car il fallait traverser un cimetière sur une autre colline. C’est ce qui est beau aux Philippines. Le fait que peu de touristes décident de visiter certaines régions fait que les sentiers et les indications pour aller d’un point d’intérêt à un autre sont quasiment inexistants. Après s’être amuses à vérifier la véracité du nom de la vallée en criant nos noms et des obscénités (surtout Nicolas) nous cherchons toujours les cercueils. Il nous faudra escalader d’autres rochers pour pouvoir enfin les admirer. Le vertige s’empare de Renu et Celine mais Nicolas (qui soit dit en pensant est mort de trouille quand il faut prendre l’avion) n’a pas l’air de trouver cela effrayant et se penche dans tous les sens pour prendre des photos, provoquant une sensation d’arrêt cardiaque chez Renu et Celine.

Nous retournons vers l’hôtel pour manger nos sandwiches avant de repartir vers un lac a quelques kilomètres de la. En route nous en profitons pour visiter un atelier de poterie ou une femme travaillant seule nous explique les différentes étapes et procédés avant bien sur de nous conduire a la boutique ou une araignée énorme nous pousse à ne pas rester trop longtemps. Nous continuons donc jusqu'à ce petit lac dénué de tout intérêt, prenons quelques photos et rentrons a l’hôtel pour nous rafraichir un peu.

De retour au Yoghurt House pour l’apéro, Renu et Celine s’installe sur le balcon pour papoter alors que Nicolas reste à l’intérieur pour mettre à jour le blog. Nous restons pour diner près du feu (enfant un bon repas) et parlons de la journée que nous venons de vivre.

Le lendemain nous décidons de nous rendre à Banaue via Bontoc. Bontoc est à une heure de Jeepney de Sagada. Pour info, les jeepneys sont des répliques des jeeps de l’armée américaine des années 30-40 lorsque celle-ci avait établi une base aux Philippines pour combattre les japonais. Les Américains sont partis de l’ile mais ont laisse derrière eux les lignes de production des véhicules.
En route, le paysage est magnifique mais nous serrons les fesses car la route est défoncée et il a bien plu la vieille. Nous passons la matinée a Bontoc, d’abord au musée qui retrace la culture indigène dans la Cordillera et plus particulièrement celle d’un groupe appelé les chasseurs de têtes qui décapitait leurs ennemis et ramenait la tête au village en souvenir de guerre.

Nous déambulons dans Bontoc un petit moment, pas grand-chose a raconter a ce sujet, avant de remonter dans un jeepney pour 3 heures de routes qui nous séparent de Banaue ou des rizières en terrasses vieilles de plus de 2000 ans nous attendent. Nous descendons du jeepney un peu avant Banaue ou la vue des rizières est spectaculaire. Nous prenons un grand bol d’air frais devant la beauté du paysage et croisons trois vieilles femmes aux lèvres et aux gencives rouges sang mastiquant du bétel et a qui il manque 95% des dents. Elle nous explique alors que le bétel est censé renforcer les dents… nous pensons que quelqu’un a du leur mentir a un moment ou a un autre, certainement leur dentiste qui est entre autre le dealer de bétel du coin.

Nous marchons un peu jusqu'au poste de police ou on nous conseille de prendre un touk-touk jusqu’au village car il ya 4 kilomètres et avec les sacs cela risque de faire un peu loin. Nous discutons un peu avec le policier et il arrête un touk-touk pour nous trois. Sur le coup nous nous jetons des regards amuses en essayant de réfléchir a la meilleure manière de tout monter sur l’engin, nous trois, nos sacs et le chauffeur. Nous voila parti pour 4 kilomètres en descente les dents et les fesses serrées. Le chauffeur a la gentillesse de s’arrêter pour que l’on prenne quelques photos.

Une fois en bas, nous avons le temps de dejeuner dans un immense hôtel digne de Shining ou Twin Peaks, au choix, et de prendre quelques bières et quelques rhums avec Henri et Thibault avant d’embarquer dans le bus de nuit pour Manille, a 11 heures d’ici. Nous arrivons a Manille très tôt le matin, prenons un petit dejeuner dans une autre gare routière ou Renu manque de se faire broyer par un taxi qui fait marche arrière et fait mine de rien le salop, et nous voila dans un autre bus en direction de Naga cette fois-ci, a 11 heures de Manille, au sud est de l’ile de Luzon.

Pour les photos, c'est ici, ici et ici.

No comments:

Post a Comment