Monday, January 18, 2010

Vietnam – Tuesday 22nd - Thursday 29th December 2009 - mardi 22 décembre 2009 – mardi 29 décembre 2009.

Hanoi – 22nd December

The train pulls up into Hanoi station around 5am. Our hotel has organised a pickup for us, unfortunately though, when we get there, our room is not yet ready. We decide to go for a walk around Hanoi Lake, and are taken back by the calm of the morning, hardly a sound from a motorbike or car, but instead a large number of people gathered around doing their morning exercises. There are aerobic classes and tai chi chuan classes held on the roadside, while others are jogging or doing push-ups on the benches ... improvised body building. The sun starts to rise, the roads start to fill up, and once again that oppressing Asian city noise. That morning, Renu and Nico get back their passports from the Indian Embassy, with the visas for later on. Nico almost kills a woman who skips the queue and takes our place after we were understand, utter exhaustion and deep hunger are not a great cocktail for Nico’s personality. We pick up some French goodies in a speciality shop (camembert and rillettes – our treat for Christmas) and also pick up Celine’s traditional dress that she had made up especially for her.

Today is another big day, but bitter sweet. Excited cause Nico’s friend, nicknamed Fifi (also Celine) arrives from Bangkok to spend a week with us, but it’s also sad as it’s Cap’taine’s last day with us, as she goes back to France to spend Christmas with her family. That afternoon we go to organise our second trip to Ha Long Bay with the same agency, as Fifi and Lolo have not yet been, this time we spend two nights there. We also try to book to see the traditional water puppets show, but tickets are sold out, so instead we have a drink on a terrace that has a great view of the city. That night we eat at Hanoi Garden, they have probably the best nems in all of Hanoi, and also a very yummy Loa (a Vietnamese fondue with beef and vegetables). We finish off with some drinks near the hotel.

See here for the photos.

Ha Long Bay – 23rd – 25th December

It’s an emotional goodbye to Celine that morning. After more than three weeks with us, a hell of a lot of miles, bus, plane, metro and train (not to mention the jeepneys and tricycles!), unforgettable moments shared with her company, it is time for us to get back on a bus towards Ha Long Bay, and for Celine to return to Europe and spend Christmas with her family in France.

It’s a similar day to last week; lunch on the boat, enjoy the scenery (this time with better weather and sunning time on the deck), a stop for kayaking, but this time the water levels are higher so we get to see some other caves...the boat then goes back to an area where all other boats with tourists on them, stop for the night. We spend that night on the boat, a quiet evening ... everybody’s in bed early.

The next morning we’re woken up earlier than expected...the scratching and scurrying of rats trapped somewhere in the room prevents us from finding sleep again. The anchor is lifted around 8.30am, as we’re on our way to visit the ‘Amazing Cave’, it is exactly as the name suggests, a beautiful, enormous cave, discovered by the French at the beginning of the 20th century.

We change boats and head towards the island we stayed on with Celine last week, where we will spend Christmas eve far from the family, whom we happen to be missing very much at this time of year. On the way we dig into the camembert and rillettes, together with a glass of disgusting Vietnamese red wine to celebrate on the deck. The weather is lovely, warm … it really doesn’t feel like Christmas. We have lunch on the island, and while Renu takes a nap, Fifi, Lolo and Nico venture up a hill that is supposed to give a magnificent view from the top of the island … wasn’t worth the effort. Fifi and Lolo take a kayak around the island, before we start the evening with a bottle of Bordeaux on the terrace of our bungalows. Christmas eve dinner is served on the beach, and start to become a little suspicious as our guide forbids us from going on to the terrace of bar-restaurant above us. Only after dinner are we allowed to go up for a few drinks and a couple of games of pool. The big surprise is a 6m long buffet, filled with food, despite having eaten already! It is also open bar for beer and yukky red wine. A very badly disguised Vietnamese Father Christmas makes a special appearance for us … we’re crossed legged to save from weeing ourselves, we’re laughing so much. Watching him tell his crappy jokes was touching, cause he really was making an effort! We put on our ludicrous pointy hats, and decide that the best way to have a laugh that night is to hog the pool table, drink until the barrel is empty and make funny faces for the camera. We discover that Laurent is particularly gifted at this. Later on, Renu puts Celine into bed as she’s not been well with tummy issues, and returns for the grand spectacle that Laurent is performing for us … he is hogging the karaoke machine singing in English and Vietnamese until his audience can’t take it anymore!

A painful wake up at 7am, to get back on to the mainland, have lunch in a disgusting restaurant (Christmas dinner … great), arriving that evening in Hanoi, knackered but happy with our little trip to Ha Long Bay.

The photos are here.

Hanoi – 26th December

Happy Birthday to Renu’s dad!
We spend the day in Hanoi trying not to get killed by the traffic. We visit one of the first universities of the city and then make our way to the train station. We board a horrific train that we are to spend the night on, which will take us to Hue. Laurent and Nico have the marvelous idea of buying a bottle of rice vodka containing 39 degrees of ethanol (!) to get us through the night. We play cards to try to forget our sorrows of being on this dump f a train, all the while avoiding touching anything, it’s so disgusting.

See here for the photos.

Hue – 27th – 29th December

The morning (actually, the whole day) is a hard one for Nico, as he thought it would be a clever idea to finish off the bottle of rice vodka we had started. As the train screeches to a stop, Nico feels his head doing the same … we arrive at Hue train station at about 8am, where someone from the hotel is there to pick us up. We’re bloody glad to be out of that disgusting train. Once in our rooms, Nico and Renu go straight to bed for a few hours, while Fifi and Lolo brave the melting sun and take a walk around Hue. We arrange to meet in front of the citadel at 1.30pm to lunch together, and then spend the afternoon visiting the imperial city. It was a beautiful afternoon of architecture admiration and photograph taking. That evening we have dinner near the hotel, in probably the least touristic area of town, a restaurant that has only local patrons and so obviously no menu in English … it was interesting making our order  The food is good and cheap. We end the night at a cute little local bar, Celine and Nico go back as they’re tired, while Renu and Laurent continue at the opposite bar.

The next day we borrow some bicycles from the hotel and take to the roads to discover the enormous citadel. The traffic is mad and illogical! Nothing makes sense you are used to Western, well organised roads. The traffic on the M25 makes London seem like a little village in comparison! The day is spend with Lolo and Nico pissing themselves laughing as Fifi and Renu scream their heads off every time they cross a junction. It is the best way to discover the place, in and out of these little roads … really lovely. We have a drink in a bar in the middle of a take before having lunch in a fancy restaurant that the guidebook rants and raves about. The place is very pretty, the food presentation is splendid, the taste is average, and the price is extortionate.

Back on the bikes … Renu’s one doesn’t go straight and Nico’s peddle falls off, entirely. The weather starts turning, we know it’s gonna rain soon, so we decide it’s time to make our way back ‘home’. On the way we stop at the loudest supermarket ever, it’s massive with about ten different speakers in a small space, each playing something different at top volume … painful! Laurent and Celine rest for a little while Renu and Nico go for a massage. Renu comes out steaming, for it was the worst massage she’d ever had, while Nico is in the clouds with the angels!

We have dinner at a Japanese restaurant, thinking that the profits they make go towards an local orphanage, but we later found out that we got the wrong restaurant :-( We finish the evening off at the hotel with some cans of beers that we bought at the supermarket… they were not nice, and gave us all a dodgy stomach that night!

That morning we hope to rent some bikes again to go and visit the ancient tombs outside of the city, but none are available, so instead we end up walking for miles discovering the streets outside the citadel walls, and find that this is really where the soul of the city is. The people are so friendly, and we meet the most delightful bunch of kids! It’s hot and stuffy that day, and have trouble keeping the pace up. By midday we get closer to the hotel for lunch, before going back to get our bags together. Laurent, Nico and Renu are due to take a bus to Hoi An to see through the end of 2009 there, and Fifi goes back to Hanoi for one night, as she flies back to London the next day.

Photos are here.

Hanoi – mardi 22 décembre 2009.

Le train arrive à la gare d’Hanoi vers 5h du matin. Un employé de notre hôtel nous attend et nous fait monter dans des taxis. Malheureusement, notre chambre n’est pas prête et nous devons donc attendre au moins jusqu'à midi. Nous en profitons pour aller marcher autour du lac d’Hanoi et somme surpris par le calme qui y règne. Quasiment pas un bruit de voiture ou de moto, mais un grand nombre de personnes qui y font de l’exercice. Des cours d’aérobic et de tai chi chuan sont organises sur le trottoir, d’autres courent ou bien soulèvent de la fonte sur des bancs de musculation improvises. Le jour se lève enfin et les rues commencent à se remplir et le bruit à se faire omniprésent. Ce matin nous récupérons nos passeports avec nos visas pour l’Inde et Nicolas est a deux doigts de tuer quelqu’un lorsqu’une femme passe devant eux dans la queue a l’ambassade (comprendre fatigue et faim). Nous faisons quelques achats dans une épicerie de produits français (camembert et rillettes) et récupérons le costume traditionnel que Celine s’est fait faire sur mesure.
Aujourd’hui est un autre grand jour car Fifi arrive de Bangkok pour passer une semaine avec nous mais aussi un jour triste car Cap’taine repart le lendemain pour passer les fêtes de Noel en famille. L’après midi nous allons réserver notre seconde excursion pour la baie d’Ha Long avec la même agence car Laurent et Fifi n’y sont pas encore allé. Cette fois nous allons passer la première nuit sur le bateau et le réveillon de Noel sur la petite ile dans les bungalows. Le soir nous dinons au Hanoi Garden, probablement les meilleurs nems d’Hanoi et un merveilleux Lao (fondue vietnamienne au bœuf et aux légumes).

Baie d’Ha Long – mercredi 23 - vendredi 25 décembre 2009.

Ce n’est pas sans émotion que nous disons au revoir a Celine ce matin la. Après trois semaines avec nous, un grand nombre de kilomètres, d’heures de bus, d’avions, de métro et de train, d’inoubliables moments partages en sa compagnie, il est temps pour nous de partir pour la baie d’Ha Long et pour elle de rentrer en France pour passer Noel avec les siens.
Comme la première fois, nous reprenons un bus vers Ha Long puis embarquons sur la jonque pour un tour dans la baie, dejeuner a bord puis un stop pour le kayak, sauf que cette fois ci le niveau de l’eau est plus haut et nous pouvons donc visiter plus de grottes. De retour sur la jonque, celle-ci se dirige dans une baie ou nous allons passer la nuit au milieu d’une autre bonne centaine de jonques remplies de touristes comme nous. Soirée calme. Tout le monde se couche tôt.
Le lendemain, nous nous levons tous à cause des bruits de rongeurs qui sont certainement caches dans les parois des chambres. Nous levons l’ancre vers 8h30 pour aller visiter une grotte immense et magnifique découverte par un équipage français au début du 20eme siècle. Après, nous changeons de bateau et filons vers notre petite ile ou nous allons passer le réveillon de Noel loin de la famille qui nous manque. En route, nous dégustons rillettes, camembert et mauvais vin vietnamien sur le pont du bateau. Il fait beau et chaud, on n’a vraiment pas l’impression que c’est Noel. Nous déjeunons a notre arrivée sur l’ile et pendant que Renu fait la sieste, Fifi, Lolo et Nico vont s’aventurer sur un chemin douteux qui doit mener a un point de vue de l’autre cote de l’ile. De retour, apéro au Bordeaux sur la terrasse de nos bungalows avant de s’avancer pour notre repas de Noel. Nous dinons sur la plage et nous sommes légèrement suspicieux car le guide nous interdit formellement de monter sur la terrasse du resto/bar pendant le repas. Ce n’est qu’a la fin de notre repas que nous sommes autorises à monter pour picoler et jouer au billard. Surprise, il y a un buffet long de 6m plein de nourriture et un bar au fond plein de boissons en libre service. Un père noël vietnamien maléfique fait son apparition et on est a deux doit de se faire dessus tellement on rit. Il annonce la couleur. Ses blagues sont pourries mais c’est touchant car il se donne vraiment beaucoup de peine. Nous enfilons nos chapeaux pointus ridicules et décidons que le meilleur moyen de s’amuser est de squatter le billard, boire à gogo et faire des grimaces ridicules sur les photos. Nous découvrons ainsi un talent cache de Laurent a ce petit jeu. Plus tard dans la soirée Renu va coucher Celine qui a des petits problèmes gastriques et revient pour admirer le show inoubliable de Laurent polyglotte qui squatte le karaoké et chante en anglais et vietnamien jusqu'à épuisement des auditeurs.
Réveil le lendemain a 7h pour retour sur la terre ferme. Nous arrivons à Ha Long pour dejeuner dans un resto horrible ou la nourriture est vraiment immangeable. Nous arriverons le soir a Hanoi assez crevés mais contents de ce petit séjour a Ha Long.

Hanoi – samedi 26 décembre 2009.

Joyeux anniversaire au papa de Renu.
Nous passons la journée à Hanoi à essayer de ne pas nous faire tuer dans le trafic. Nous visitons la plus ancienne/première université de la ville et prenons un train de nuit horrible pour Hue. Laurent et Nico ont la merveilleuse idée d’acheter une bouteille de vodka de riz à 39 degrés d’éthanol… Le soir nous jouons aux cartes en évitant de toucher quoi que ce soit dans le compartiment car c’est bien pourri.

Hue – dimanche 27 - mardi 29 décembre 2009.

Le réveil est difficile pour Nicolas qui a décidé la veille de finir la bouteille de vodka de riz. Le train tangue et sa tête aussi. Nous arrivons à la gare de Hue vers 8h du matin et un employé de l’hôtel vient nous récupérer. Nous nous installons et Fifi et Laurent partent balader alors que Nicolas et Renu se recouchent encore quelques heures. Nous nous retrouvons devant la citadelle vers 13h30 pour dejeuner et passer l’après-midi à visiter la cite impériale. Le soir nous dinons près de l’hôtel, loin de la zone touristique, dans un resto fréquenté uniquement par des locaux. C’est bon et pas cher. Et nous prenons un verre dans le coin avant de rentrer.
Le lendemain nous empruntons des vélos à l’hôtel pour balader dans la citadelle qui est immense. Renu et Fifi n’en peuvent plus de crier de peur. Le trafic est terrible et tout le monde fait n’importe quoi. Le midi nous déjeunons dans un restaurant conseille dans le guide. La présentation est soignée et l’addition salée. La nourriture ne nous laissera pas de souvenir impérissable. Le vélo de Renu ne roule pas très droit, celui de Nicolas perd une pédale et le temps commence à tourner à la pluie. Il est temps de rentrer tranquillement à l’hôtel. Laurent et Celine se repose pendant que Renu et Nicolas vont se faire masser. Renu en ressortira très énervée du fait son mauvais massage, quant a Nicolas il est aux anges… Nous dinons dans un restaurant japonais pensant qu’une partie de leurs bénéfices sert a financer la formation en cuisines de jeunes orphelins de Hue mais on s’aperçoit plus tard que nous nous sommes trompes de restaurant. On finira la soirée en buvant quelques verres en ville.
Le jeudi 29, nous voulions louer des vélos car ceux de l’hôtel ne sont pas disponibles mais nous finirons par marcher des kilomètres a la découverte d’un quartier bien en dehors des sentiers battus ou l’on sent vraiment l’âme de la vieille ville a l’est de la citadelle. Il fait une chaleur étouffante ce jour la et nous avons beaucoup de mal a avancer. Vers midi nous nous rapprochons de l’hôtel pour dejeuner et rentrons faire nos sacs car Laurent, Renu et Nico partons en bus pour Hoi An pour passer la fin 2009 alors que Fifi va rentrer a Hanoi par avion et passer une nuit la bas avant de repartir sur Londres le 30.